iMotiv

Saturday 12 July 2014

Saturday Flea Market at Lucky Plaza (For Flea Sake)

Had a flea today to clear the mess in my room. 
Held fleas previously at Scape and this is my first time holding it at lucky plaza (level 6 opposite Jolibee). After reading online on what it's like to hold a flea there, I got myself prepared for it. 
I reached there at around 10.45am and there was already a short queue at the door.


At 11.30am sharp, we were allowed into the flea grounds.
From here onwards, you can just choose any empty table available .
We went in to scout for a suitable table before the flea started so when we are allowed in, we roughly know where to head to. Initially, we aimed to get the corner tables because there was more empty space around where I can place my luggages and containers.
However, everyone in the line before us also went for those tables.
We had no choice but to go for other tables in the middle.
We went for one in the middle but at the corner. Luckily for us, we chose the right table as we were just beside the organiser's table and we didn't have to squeeze with other vendors for space.
I expected to see crate tables as what other flea goers mentioned but we only had normal tables today. I guess they changed the tables. Table size is pretty small :x The large spaces with partitions were occupied by permanent vendors so we were left with the tables in the middle.

Booths opposite mine


We priced our items at 3 for $10 initially and also $10 for some items of better quality but that did not work even when my items are brand new. Despite the low prices, I managed to get back my booth rental in the first 2 hours. I brought 2 huge full luggages and 2 large containers of clothes and I cleared 1 luggage and 1 container. After deducting the rental, I made $370 when I left the flea at 5pm instead of 7pm. Flea market is a tiring affair.

The crowd flow there was quite steady so we were kept busy. 

Things to note:
1. Don't come too late as you will only be able to get tables located at locations with poor human traffic.
2. Do not bring clothe rack as you will be wasting time hanging the clothes up and they will be readily brought down. Almost everyone just piled their clothes on the table for people to ravage through.
3. The shoppers there really love bags!
4. It is the easiest to price everything at the same price as it will be messy and it will be hard for you to remember which is priced at what value. 
5. Most things priced $5 and above will be hard to sell off. 
6. Prepare plastic bags for the shoppers who buy from you.
7. Get ready small change.
8. Bring tissue paper and mask as it gets really dusty and your nose might be irritated. 
9. Small sized clothings are harder to sell.
10. Some of the shoppers buy in bulk as they are sending it home so they will likely as for discount.
11. Saturday was less crowded than Sunday so the Aircon worked well and it helped that we were sitting right under the Aircon.
12. Go with a friend as it is not easy to manage the booth alone when it gets busy. Luckily Quek dropped by for a while to help out.

Chee Wee working hard

3 musketeers

The man hard at work.

Messy table and the crowd.

The booths here are great to clear your wardrobe but if you are looking to bring awareness to your brand, you should consider other flea markets. I felt that the rental of the booth was on the high side but I'm glad that I managed to cover the rental as well as make some money. You should ensure that you have alot to clear before getting a booth here because you will not be able to recover your rental if you have too little things to sell. If you do not have alot, it is also a good idea to share the booth with a friend or 2.

1 comment:

  1. Please please dont go, I went there and 60% of my bags and clothes were stolen. My friend brought 23 bags and 17 were missing. The shoppers just swarm you like crazy. Some of them just took our items and walked away.

    ReplyDelete